The State of California requires a “Cool Roof” when installing a new roof, or when re-roofing if the following criteria apply:
• Roof covers non-residential building, high-rise residential, or hotel/motel occupancy,
• Slope of the roof is less than 2:12,
• It is over air conditioned space,
• A permit is required.
To qualify as a cool roof, the material must meet the following criteria:
• A minimum reflectivity of 70%
• Minimum thermal emittance of 0.75,
• Products are labeled with CRRC label.
• SBS modified bitumen roofing systems can achieve this by application of an elastomeric coating. Our CSI-formatted specifications address the application of the coating.
MBTechnology’s products meet this requirement in two ways:
1- Coating Application:
We have developed a unique coating, which enables our system to achieve the California Title 24 requirement for “Cool Roof”. This unique coating is a multi purpose 100% acrylic elastomeric coating for use over SBS modified bitumen membrane. The base coat is applied at a rate of 1.5 gallons/square followed by the topcoat at a rate of 1.5 gallons /square. For a total coverage of 3 gallons/square.
2 – Fireguard SBS roofing system with “Cool Roof” coating.